Pulmonary Cysts (Lungenzysten)
- Lesion develops between the 6th and 16th week of gestation. In contratst to the central (bronchogenic) cyst, they may be multiple and extensive.
- Bronchial communication is more common.
- Differential diagnosis includes CCAM, congenital lobar emphysema, pneumothorax (sharp costophrenic angle) or congenital diaphragmatic hernia.
Congenizal pulmoary cysts with mediatinal shift
- Respiratory distress shortly after birth.
- Plain chest X-ray, CT scan.
Indication for operation:
- Clear indication for resection.
- Thoracotomy, segmentectomy or lobectomy.
- Chest tubes may be removed if the lung is fully expanded and drainage volumes decrease below 20 to 50cc during a 24 hour period.